Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ince burun - The Northermost Point in Turkey


Today, after a beautiful lunch by the sea, I went to Ince burun in the afternoon. That was not the plan at first, the plan was just to conquer, by car, some very well known places near Sinop (such as Akliman and Hamsilos). The problem was that, I had seen those places so many times, it is always beautiful to go there but there I had it, I wanted to see something new this time! So, after a little bit of discussion about where to go, and when I was just convinced that my father had enough in the driver seat and that we were going home, I saw the sign: Ince burun.

Ok, I have been there before, yet again. But only once. And dad does not remember this. So, off we go!

Ince burun is the northermost point of Turkey. There is apparently one lighthouse and two cows there, that's all. But the-view-is-amazing. Even though it was extremely hot in the city, almost as if it were a summer day, there in Ince burun, by the wild sea, it was still winter! I started sneezing, shivering, feeling dizzy.. No, I am not a nature freak and it is obvious, but, it was nice..

Going there, we passed by I guess over 100 different shades of green. It was refreshing and calm. Ince burun, however, is wild, the waves reach up to where the lighthouse is, in the winter time, they say.

This wild and pure beauty and the wilderness of sea is about to be destroyed, any time now. On that small bay in that picture right-hand side, a nuclear power plant is planned to be built, the first one in Turkey. Local people are fighting, with all their power, against that plan, but I fear that it will soon be decided to the disadvantage of this struggle. What happens next, we can not know, but the feeling of isolation and peace, in harmony with the sound of wild waves, will sure be destroyed forever. And yet, at any cost, people need to be heard and not to be ignored, while they are the ones that will be living next to that energy they fear of.


2 comments: