Thursday, May 21, 2009

Blackadder


Brilliant! That is the best (rather British) word I can use to describe this series of the 80's.

I was in high school when Blackadder was shown on BBC Prime and I had just learned english; me and my best friend, we were watching MTV - newly introduced to Turkey back then - and BBC Prime most of the time. The thing is, I loved BBC so much that I even got up earlier than I should have some days just to catch up with some documentaries.

Yet it was hard for me at first to understand it all, even if I had caught all the sentences, I would not be able to get the British humour. But I kept on watching nonetheless. And by the mid-second season, I had gotten hold of it all; the following season was even better, and that happens to be my favourite also. I do not remember why now, but I missed some of the last season, Blackadder Goes Forth, and that season I have rather vaguely in my memories.



Blackadder is the family name of the 4-seasons series' anti-hero Edmund Blackadder. British comedian Rowan Atkinson stars as Blackadder; now I never liked anything other than this that Mr. Atkinson (or else should I call him Mr. Bean?) had ever done, nevertheless, I admit that as for Edmund Blackadder, I can not think of anyone else and he was absolutely amazing (oh yes, British, ermm, brilliant!). Besides Blackadder, the other main character in the show is Blackadder's dogsbody, Baldrick, played - equally amazingly - by Tony Robinson. Each season is set in a different historical period and the other characters change more or less in each season; among them are Tim McInnerny as Lord Percy Percy (season 2), Miranda Richardson as Quenn Elizabeth I (season 2), Stephen Fry as Lord Melchett (season 2) and Hugh Laurie as the ever-unforgettable Prince Regent (season 3). If you are familiar with British cast, you can guess how impressive the series was.

While in the first season, the Blackadder character is quite unintelligent, he gradually becomes smarter in each generation as his social status decreases (from prince, to lord, to royal butler, to finally a regular army captain), however, the common point of all Blackadder generations is sarcasm, cunning and opportunism, regardless of their surroundings.



Despite him being selfish, cynical and cunning at all levels in his life and throughout generations, in today's point of view, Blackadder also represents the (almost) modern voice, puncturing the pretensions and stupidity of those around him and revealing the ludicrous and insane follies of the history (such as witch-hunts in medieval religion scene).

Blackadder was ranked as the 20th Best Show of All Time by Empire Magazine and I believe it is a must to see, if you are in for some British humour.

No comments:

Post a Comment